Elements of Rest and Recovery
1. Sleep: Sleep is the most important time to recover. Adequate levels of sleep help to provide mental health, hormonal balance, and muscular recovery. You need to get enough sleep, which is between seven to ten hours. Everyone has individual needs based on their lifestyle, workouts, and genetic makeup.
• Hours slept before twelve at night are proven to be more effective than those slept after.
• Fresh air and cooler temperatures help to improve the quality of sleep.
2. Hydration: Drinking adequate amounts of water is critical to health, energy, recovery, and performance. The simplest way to check hydration is to look at your uine. If it is clear to pale yellow you are hydrated. The darker and more color in your urine the less hydrated you are and the more water you need to drink.
• Water is the best way to hydrate.
• Replace electrolytes- a great source is pedialyte, if your wanting to make a homemade electrolyte replacement drink the recipe is: 1/2 cup fresh orange juice. 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice. 2 cups of water (filtered or purified) or raw coconut water. 2 tbsp organic raw honey or organic maple syrup. 1/8 tsp Himalayan Pink salt or Celtic sea salt.
• Flavorings, Crystal Light, and other additives simply give you system more to process and cause it further strain. Stick to adding a lemon or lime.
3. Nutrition: Everything you eat has the ability to help heal your body, or to poison it. Eating clean and balanced meals in moderation is proven to be effective to remain healthy and increase performance. Food in our society goes far beyond fueling the body, so it is not always such a simple choice.
Dedicating additional time primarily to the three categories of sleep, hydration, and nutrition will increase your output ability, improve you ability to heal and allow you to recover more quickly.
Top Tier Sports Medicine has 2 locations in Melbourne, Florida. Our Suntree location: 6300 N Wickham Road, Suite 133B, Melbourne, FL 32940 (321)421-7117 and Melbourne location:494 S Harbor City Blvd, Melbourne, FL 32901 (321)610-7978. Official rehabilitation affiliate providers for the LPGA and Washington Nationals.